For some reason, my del.icio.us is absolutely overflowing with "bloggers vs mainstream media" links:
- Niel McIntosh at CompleteTosh thought he had almost recovered from the debate which, not long ago, made him contemplate chewing his arm off in frustration. Then he points us towards….
- this piece by Linda Jones for the Press Gazette titled "don’t be deluded, a blog does not a journalist make" which links to Graham…
- Who pleads, over on the ScooptWords blog, that "bloggers be journalists, journalists be bloggers"
- this whole thing, of course, really came to a head at the wemedia conference and the fringe event that I organised (with a bit of help) where Suw Charman let off a bit of steam with her presentation Why We Media Sucked
- after which I had to comment
Dan Gillmor has usefully summarised recent (never ending) debate on western shores, where we find:
- The dean of Columbia University’s School of Journalism, Nicholas Lemann, trying to stir things up the insightfully titled "Amateur Hour" in the NewYorker
- which got Jeff Jarvis’ knickers in a twist
- which led to Steven Berlin Johnson calling a truce, or something resembling one, by asking that anyone wishing to engage in the whole "bloggers vs journos" argument do so without raising one of the 5 points he says aren’t at all useful, from which he links to…
- Jay Rosen’s attempt to end this all way back in January 2005
Funny thing is, someone just emailed to tell me that he’d spotted a post on CompleteTosh which links to a comment I made on Steven Berlin Johnson where I linked to the NewYorker piece which he’d been avoiding reading because he’s a subscriber and his copy doesn’t arrive until tomorrow.
Obviously, this is a debate that just keeps following a lot of us around…
Which reminds me of "The Bloggers":
<< update >>
<<another update >>